5 upper-body exercises for runners

The problem with most upper-body exercises
The problem with most of the upper-body workouts "for runners" is that they do not mimic the movements one would do when running.  I would see a lot of bicep curls, tricep curls, chair dips, push-ups, all involving repeated flexions and extensions of the arms.  The last thing runners want to do is wasting energy opening and closing their arms while running! I would also see a lot of exercises with the arms moving across the chest and high above shoulder level when good running form requires a runner to keep their arms moving mostly forward and back, not across their midline. 

A runner-specific approach to upper-body conditioning
I thought to myself, shouldn't runners train in a way that mimics the way they run? Shouldn't I work on keeping my elbows bent at the proper angle when tired? On keeping my arms moving forward and back and not side to side? On keeping my torso stable? Isn't it possible to also use every workout as an opportunity to practice good running posture?

Here are some exercises I have found that are best adapted to the needs of runners:

1. and 2. Isometric biceps and triceps exercises with elastic band

Start with few curls at the beginning to pre-fatigue your biceps, then try to hold the position as long as possible while counting out loud (to not get into the bad habit of holding your breath). 

For the triceps, I would hook the elastic band higher than my head on the wall or, when at the gym, on a crossbar, and pull the handles down until feeling the tension and then hold my arms in position as long as possible. 

When doing training outdoor, like at the fitness circuit at Ambleside Beach in West Vancouver, I have also used parallel bars to work my triceps by holding myself midway in a triceps dip as long as possible while counting out loud.


3. Running arms with elastic band

Set up a resistance band with the handles around a pole and then stand back facing the pole until the tension is such that you can move your arms in the same range of motion as when running, but with more effort. Place your feet in a split stance and keep your core tight to stabilize your upper-body. When ready, look at a watch and move my arms as quickly as when sprinting for 20 seconds. Take a break for the same amount of time, then start again.  Repeat the exercise 4 times and then do it again facing away from the pole. As you get better, try to keep my arms moving fast for longer intervals and to do more intervals per session.
 
4. Single Arm Cable or Elastic Band Reverse Lunge To Row
To work on sport-specific coordination and balance I would also add an exercise combining both a lower-body and upper-body movement mimicking running.  This one was first very hard to do without letting my upper-body rotate or my front knee move out of alignment.  


Now, I have become good enough to do a reverse-lunge to high-knee COMBINED with that one-arm rowing motion (the leg going up is on the same side as the arm rowing back). 
5. Anti-rotation hold

I would do always that one at the end because it really tires the key stabilizer muscles in the core. 


Please consult with your physician before starting physical activity and get the assistance of a personal trainer to make sure you are doing the moves with proper form. :-)

In my next blog post I will focus on exercises to improve running-specific coordination.