Sprinting: it all starts with good posture

One often forgotten key aspect of running fast and efficiently is the position of the pelvis.  When starting to learn proper sprinting technique I was told to focus on my knee drive, pumping my arms, leaning forward, bringing my foot to my butt and landing under my centre of gravity. Now that my technique has become smoother, it is time to focus on smaller details, like the perfect pelvic tilt.

Today, more than any other day, I got to experience first-hand the difference running with the proper pelvic tilt makes. Indeed, my hamstrings were quite tight and sore from Thursday's gym workout and any kind of anterior tilt would cause unnecessary strain on them.  So I ran the 300m repeats at a gentle pace (80% of my goal 400m race pace) and focused on the position of my pelvis. Surprisingly, as soon as I adjusted the tilt of and stabilized my pelvis by tightening my core, my hamstrings felt better and I even ended up peaking at 85% of my goal race pace in the middle of the workout

To sprint efficiently and protect oneself from hamstring injuries, it is important to "tuck the hips" i.e. run with a slight posterior tilt so that the glutes end up under the body at the top of the knee lift. Running with a tight core and stopping any anterior pelvic tilt is useful for both distance runners and sprinters. Curious to work on your own pelvic tilt? Check out this video from a football coach that explains clearly what proper alignment is and how to achieve it: